Department of Biochemical and Сytogenetic Diagnostics
Head of the department
Professor Marina A. Zemlyanova, PhD,
The department includes three laboratories:
- Cytogenetics Laboratory
- Biochemical and Nanosensor Diagnostics Laboratory
- Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics Research Laboratory
Main research lines:
The development and implementation of laboratory techniques for diagnosing health disorders, caused by adverse environmental and occupational impacts.
- Biochemical investigations of human biological fluids
The investigations of metabolism impairments, redox disturbances, impaired metabolic activity (protein, lipid, carbohydrate, energy, mineral metabolism) and enzymatic activity, hemopoietic disorders, dietary mineral imbalance, hemostatic efficiency disorders using advanced analytical laboratory equipment of leading global manufacturers (ThermoFisher, Beckman Coulter, Helena).
- Konelab fully automated biochemistry analyzer (Finland)
- Screen Master semi-automated biochemistry analyzers (Stat Fax, USA)
- Automated protein analyzer SAS 1-2 (UK)
- Easylyte Calcium blood electrolyte analyzer (USA)
- Coulter Ac T5 diff AL automated hematology analyzer (USA)
- Amelung KC4Delta semi-automated coagulometer (Ireland)
- Micro CO gas analyzer (UK)
The determination of chromosomal abnormalities in the population and employees, who are occupationally exposed to mutagenic risk factors (chemical, physical, etc.), which cause:
- congenital malformations
- reproductive function disorders
- mental and physical development disorders
- pregnancy pathologies (spontaneous abortion, intrauterine fetal death)
The laboratory analytical equipment includes a system for the identification and visualization of chromosomes, which is based on advanced technologies produced by leading global manufacturers (Carl Zeiss, Thermo Electron, Thermo Brite, SANYO).
- Hybridization / denaturation system (USA), CO2 incubator (Germany), a laminar thermal cycler and a cooling thermal cycler (Japan), Axiovert 40 inverted microscope (Germany);
- AxioScope А microscope, Axiolmage microscpe (Germany), professional imaging software MetaSystems (USA).
Hormone profile analysis, the determination of reproduction markers, antioxidant activity, inflammation and oxidative stress markers, osseous metabolism markers and metabolic disorders, using state-of-the-art analytical equipment (Tecan, Awareness Technology).
- Automated microplate analyzer Infinite F50 (Austria)
- Semi-automated microplate analyzer Stat Fax (USA)
The application of the research results by the Federal Service on Customers’ Rights Protection and Human Well-Being Surveillance
- The determination of causes for the incidence and prevalence of mass non-communicable diseases for sanitation and epidemiology expert examinations, investigations and studies,
- The substantiation of markers of exposure for the monitoring of environmental and occupational factors,
- Substantiation of biomarkers of effect for the diagnosis of human health disorders caused by the impact of risk factors,
- Building an evidence base of a negative impact of environmental and occupational factors on human health for developing sanitation and hygiene measures, aimed at the prevention and reduction of negative environmental impacts,
- The development of hygiene standards for heavy metal and organic compound levels in human blood for real exposure assessment,
- The assessment of the safety of nanomaterials, genetically modified food, perfumes and cosmetics for the population and industrial workers,
- The development of guidelines and regulations in the field of environmental health diagnostics of risk factors for non-communicable diseases, and
- The development and effectiveness estimation of regional programs for the prevention, correction and monitoring of health effects, associated with the impact of toxicants, taking into account bio-monitoring criteria.
- Innovative biotechnology-based research on molecular and cytogenetic, immunogenetic, biochemical and nanosensor diagnosis of diseases, modified by risk factors. The development of standards for blood concentrations of harmful substances, according to the health risks from these substances.
- The investigations of nanomaterial safety for the population and workers.
- The development and implementation of highly sensitive and highly selective biomolecular diagnostic techniques, based on hybrid technologies of human proteome and metabolome research, to identify new biomarkers, which indicate early stages of health disorders, associated with risk factors.
The laboratory staff consists of professionals in clinical biochemistry, cytogenetics, pharmacokinetics, environmental health and preventive medicine, and includes 2 Doctors of Science, 1 PhD in Chemistry, 1 PhD in Biology, 1 PhD in Pharmacy, 4 leading researchers, 4 senior researchers, 3 junior researchers and clinical research assistants.
The quality of the laboratory services is confirmed by the Federal External Quality Assessment System (No. 10843, 10845) and the EQAS certificate (No. 9843).